In the year 1899, our company founder, Johann Stiegelmeyer, began manufacturing his first wire mesh mattresses in Rödinghausen. In 1900, the company moved to Herford, where it was officially entered in the trade register. In 1903, Stiegelmeyer sold the company to his partner Albert Dörnte. The name Stiegelmeyer had already become so well established by then that it is still used today. Albert Dörnte’s son-in-law Dietrich von Hollen, who was managing director from 1919 to 1970, shaped the company’s development in the 20th century. He was a great-grandfather of the present Kemmler shareholder family. The company's focus quickly shifted from mattresses to metal beds. Already in 1910, Stiegelmeyer produced the first hospital bed. In the 1950s, the company developed innovations such as the electrically adjustable hospital bed. At the end of the 1960s, Stiegelmeyer began manufacturing beds for nursing homes.
The acquisition of the Burmeier furniture factory in Lage in the 1990s made it possible to develop a successful range of home care products. In 1994, the group opened new plants in Herford and Nordhausen in Thuringia. Stolno (2001) and Kepno (2006) in Poland were added as further production locations. At the same time, a number of international sales companies were founded. In 2017, the company merged 4 subsidiaries to form the new operating company Stiegelmeyer GmbH & Co. KG.